As most of you know, CrossFit is one of the fastest-growing fitness trends in the world. It is utilized by police academies, tactical operations teams, military special operations and hundreds of professional athletes around the world. But now it’s crossed over into everyday athletes and fitness minded people.
CrossFit uses a combination of weightlifting, sprinting, gymnastics and the support of work out partners to create a fitness phenomenon.
Due to the strenuous activities used in CrossFit, injuries do occur fairly often. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research published a recent study showing that 73.5% of 132 CrossFitters surveyed had sustained an injury. Another 9% of these injuries required surgery.
An injury can take you out of your workout regimen for weeks. Simple preparation can keep your active lifestyle on track and keep your body healthy.
The most common CrossFit injuries involve shoulders, lower back strain, knee disorders and overuse conditions like tennis elbow or Achilles tendonitis. At Xpress Ortho Care, we encourage you to practice your preferred fitness regimen including CrossFit, but we also want you to know how to avoid injuries:
- Make sure you are practicing the proper technique, using the correct equipment and not overtraining.
- Make sure your goals are realistic and incremental. Don’t try to do too much, too soon.
- Practice CrossFit in a safe environment and wear the right gear, such as gloves and power belts
- Warm up thoroughly and make sure you adequately stretch. This lengthens your muscles which can help minimize tears, strains and sprains.
- Listen to your body and rest! Try setting two rest days a week to allow your body to recover, heal and prevent injuries.
Any CrossFit injuries should be evaluated immediately. Early intervention by an orthopedic specialist at Xpress Ortho Care is the key to keeping injuries from getting worse over time with repeated exercise.